Posted on

Rocawear Vrs. Occupy Wall Street

Earlier this month the clothing company Rocawear launched by superstar Jay-Z released a new t-shirt design that addressed the Occupy Wall Street movement.

As you can tell from the picture above, instead of the shirt saying “Occupy Wall  Street” it was edited with a cross out of a red marker design and in which it now reads “Occupy All Streets”.

Soon after the t-shirts were released on the website they were taken down and disabled from purchasing. This was rumored because Rocawear was going to make a profit off the t-shirts and neglect giving any of the proceeds to the Occupy movement. Representatives have released a few statements regarding the issue:

“Rocawear strongly encourages all forms of constructive expression, whether it is artistic, political or social.”

“‘Occupy All Streets’ is our way of reminding people that there is change to be made everywhere, not just on Wall Street. At this time we have not made an official commitment to monetarily support the movement.”

There are a few ways you can look at this situation

1) These t-shirts were created to make good publicity towards the Occupy Wall Street movement

2) They were made to make easy money

3) Or they were made to show support from a member of the 1 %( Jay-Z) to all the other people who are the 99%

What do you think is the main goal of these t-shirts?

Advertisements

About sargrabar

I'm Sarah. Currently studying at St. John Fisher College for a bachelors in Communications and a minor in Management. I lived in Spain for 5 months and traveling is one of my passions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s